In God’s providence, this year has turned out to be a real rollercoaster for our home church (Howick Baptist). In March, our Associate Pastor Joe Fleener announced that after seeking much counsel and prayer, he had accepted a call to plant a church in Rolleston. I had the privilege of serving alongside him to help organise this year’s Stand Conference, before his family made the move down at the end of July.
Just last week, our Senior Pastor Peter Somervell informed the church family that he had accepted a call to lead a church in Richmond, Nelson (you can read his announcement here).
This means in the space of less than a year, our church will have lost two of our full-time teaching elders.
This will be the first church transition our family will be a part of, and it’s possible that our church will be without a Senior Pastor for much of next year.
If you could keep Howick Baptist Church in your prayers, it would be really appreciated. Specifically, please pray that:
- That we would trust in God alone, find refuge in the finished work of Jesus Christ, and walk by the Spirit each day
- Each of us would grow in our love for Christ, His Gospel and His church during this time
- Peter, Francelle and their family would be able to “finish well” and be encouraged and ready to serve at their next church
- That amid the confusion and questions, we would speak with and about one another in ways that would glorify God
- Our elders and staff would shepherd wisely and care for the flock through the uncertain months ahead
- The members of HBC would continue to love and care for one another during the time of transition, and that we would remain a community that loves Jesus and proclaims His good news
- Even now, God would prepare the right person to become the next Senior Pastor, so that the message of grace and peace through Jesus Christ may continue to be proclaimed at HBC.